Agricultural Building/Barn

Construction of an agricultural building/barn requires an accessory structure permit. Electrical or plumbing construction work in conjunction with agricultural building/barn construction requires separate permit(s).

An agricultural building/barn is defined as a roofed, enclosed accessory structure subordinate and incidental to the primary structure or residence and used for agricultural purposes only. A maximum of two accessory structures are allowed per lot or property.

An agricultural building/barn is allowed only in certain zoning districts. Please check with Development Services staff to determine whether or not an accessory dwelling unit is allowed on a particular property.

An agricultural building/barn shall be set back 100 feet from the front property line if located within the front yard. If in the side or rear yard, an agricultural building/barn must be set back 6 feet from side and rear property lines. For corner lots, an agricultural building/barn must be set back 15 feet from the side yard lot line adjacent to a street.

An agricultural building/barn may have metal exterior siding provided that the siding is a color finish compatible with the primary residence. Galvanized or other unpainted metal panels may be used for roofing but shall not be used for vertical siding.

Submittal Requirements: (See accessory structure permit application for details)

  • Accessory Structure Permit Application
  • Construction plans
  • Plot plan
  • Fee: $30 (less than 120 square feet); $75 (120 to 250 square feet); $0.50/square foot (greater than 250 square feet)
  • HOA approval letter (for accessory structures on residential lots within a neighborhood with a homeowners association)
Submittal Method: Accessory structure permit application and payment must be submitted in person by homeowner or contractor.